|Purpose||The Rongowhakaata Iwi Trust (RIT) in partnership with the Eastland Institute of Technology (EIT) is pleased to offer the Hāmokorau-Toki- Hengahenga Iwi Partnership Scholarship. This is a new scholarship available in 2021 which aims to support iwi members studying in areas of strategic significance to Rongowhakaata. On behalf of the RIT and EIT we invite uri of Rongowhakaata who intend on enrolling at EIT in 2021 to apply.
Hāmokorau-toki-hengahenga – meaning the gathering of future craftsmen.
Hāmokorau was the iconic wānanga whakairo (school of learning) for Tūranga Iwi. It is from this wānanga that the great lines of Tūranga Iwi carvers ascend including the likes of: Matenga Ruta (Te Poho o Mahaki), Natanahira Toromata (Te Poho o Rawiri) and Mahumahu (Te Poho o Tāmanuhiri), the most prolific being Te Waaka Perohuka and his protégé Raharuhi Rukupo.
It is from Hāmokorau where the unique carving style and design of Rongowhakaata artistic excellence was born. Leading to the design of such exquisite decorated houses as: Te Mana o Tūranga, Te Toko Toru Tapu Whare Karakia, Te Poho o Rukupo and the most renowned, Te Hau ki Tūranga
The Hāmokorau whakapapa connects the genealogical ties between Kahungunu (Takitimu) and Rongowhakaata.
Through recognizing these historic links we celebrate the intention to build stronger relationships and a collective approach to meeting iwi aspirations.
As Hāmokorau is synonymous with excellence so too do we encourage the pursuit of excellence through education.
|Eligibility Criteria||An application is complete when applicants (or their parent/legal guardian for those under 18) have satisfied the following:
· Applicant must be a registered member of Rongowhakaata. (Considered registered under parent/legal guardian if under 18)
· Will be enrolling as a new student at EIT.
· Applicant will need to meet the EIT entry criteria for the programme they wish to enter.
|What is covered?||The Hāmokorau-Toki-Hengahenga Iwi Partnership Scholarship will fund the tuition up to one year of course fees.
· In the event the first year is a non-fee paying programme, the scholarship can be accredited to the 2nd year of study.
· There may be additional costs for you to cover such as the Student Services Levy, which is a compulsory non-tuition fee, some course-related costs and any additional costs over and above the year of tuition fees.
|The scholarship will be applicable to any programme delivered at EIT from Certificate level to Degree but will exclude post graduate study.|
Please follow the link to complete the application form.